Tuesday, 23 November 2010

Why I took a taxi to my own wedding!

Hubby and I just celebrated our first wedding anniversary a couple of days ago at some mountain resort in Benguet. Yes, with our daughter Luna. Can't believe it has been a year already! Time indeed zooms by when you get married and get pregnant and give birth within one year. Believe me, the conception part wasn't planned. And although having a baby made in China seems an interesting story, that's not what I'm going to share with you folks today.

You shoulda seen the driver's face traced with shock and bewilderment.

On the biggest day of my life, I took a cab to the church where I was to be wed. How in the world did this happen?

Here's the series of unfortunate events which led to this (cross-posted from my abandoned personal blog):

09:00 AM I was awoken by my friend's (Belle) call, who asked about where we'll meet up before the wedding. She was surprised I was still asleep!

10:00 AM Bridal car-slash-service for the day arrived (provided by a relative who owns a rent-a-car-company).

10:30 AM Went to the reception venue to meet my coordinator. Gave her the CDs for the church, AVP DVD I edited for the banquet program, and money for other payments. Went through the script one last time.

11:00 AM Checked in Orchid Garden Suites. Dropped off gowns, shoes and accessories.

11:15 AM Rushed to Harrison Plaza to change currency (short on pesos and we still needed to pay for the lechon, fireworks and band after the wedding). Bought last minute stuff: stamp pad (for the after party), pins (money dance) and deodorant (of all things!).

11:45 AM Back at the hotel. Flowers for the entourage were delivered. Cameramen arrived, chased me around like I was a reality show celebrity. I took a shower while Gabe went back to the condo to take hers there, so we can save time.

12:30 PM Driver took Gabe first to the parlor. It just dawned on me, I didn't even know the parlor's name! It's one of them forgettable cheap places you'd consider as your last resort. Their lone hairdresser and make-up artist, Jessica, is such a gem though. P500 for the whole deed - but don't undermine him (uhm, her... uhm). He won 1st place in a competition sponsored by Fanny Serrano, and even showed me photos to prove it (he might have sensed my skepticism).

12:50 PM Driver picked me up from the hotel and took me to the salon. Salon's located just beside a carinderia, so I decided to take lunch while waiting for my turn.

My last meal as a single lady.

01:45 PM Finally, my turn. Told Gabe to eat her lunch too, which is uhm, my leftover food.

02:30 PM Jessica added the last touch, fake lashes - which took forever! Mom kept calling every two minutes. My wedding singer, apparently lost, sent a text message asking for directions.

With my artist and manicurist.

02:50 PM We found our frantic mom (that's actually an understatement - she was wildly panicking!) in the hotel room with the cameramen. I changed into my gown as fast as I could (which was difficult with the heavy petticoat). I was hopping around trying to put on my strappy white sandals when one of my gown's buttons popped out.

03:00 PM Bridal car took the groom and his family to the church.

03:10 PM Driver took them to the wrong church. He asked for directions from people, drove like a mad man and counter-flowed one-way Manila streets.

Photo taken by hubby. Driver racing to Paco Park Church. Argh! Please don't hurt the pedestrians!

Around this time in the hotel one cameraman was fixing my veil, and another, helping Gabe tie her corset. Mom looked like she was going to faint any second.

03:30 PM Bridal car not back yet. Cameramen used the spare time to take more photos of me, mom and Gabe.

03:45 PM We couldn't wait any longer. The cameramen really saved the day, they hailed a taxi for us. Coincidentally, my wedding wasn't any different from my backpacking adventures - always on the run!

My 'bridal car', a cab with an 80s glam velvet seat cover.

04:00 PM It really is better to be late than never! Have we been more than thirty minutes late, the wedding would have been cancelled (church policy).

Late and still laughing.

04:05 PM The entourage's song, 'Going To The Chapel Of Love' played and I saw mom dancing to it. Our best man Shane started walking down the aisle with Morvarid.

I went ballistic with the next entourage song, 80s soft rock song 'Take My Breath Away' by Berlin. Friggin' Shervin included it in our list of church songs instead of 'Take My Breath Away' by Tuck and Patti. Ah yes, my life is full of all sorts of bloopers. The song was faded out to make way for my wedding march - a soulfully played 'Baby, I Love Your Way' by Johnoy Danao.

Johnoy waiting for me, his cue.

I took a deep breath and reminded myself not to cry yet, "Your fake lashes' glue is still not dry". Here we go...

Veil not properly fixed, but thanks to the cameraman who helped me put it on.

Lesson learned: I cannot be the bride and be Wonder Woman at the same time. A wedding is a family affair. When getting married, delegate tasks to your relatives.

Pin It

This page was viewed times.


  1. Hi Gay. Got through this site while searching on how to apply for a marriage license, and I enjoyed reading this post. Fancy that your wedding day is consistent with your other travel adventures. :)

  2. Thanksss! Haha, it is VERY consistent. Life is insane, and indeed, good.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...